Monday, October 24, 2011

Decisions

Decision:

Yep. We make about a million of them from the moment we are like able realize the things going on around us as babies. Obviously the older we get, the harder our decisions in life become. For example, as a 5 year old, one's hardest decision is deciding which toy they want to play with more- the barbie doll or the tonka truck lol. As 14, we go to high school and determine which group of people we are going to fit into. At 18 we decide on a college, in our 20s we decide on starting families or waiting as well as careers. I mean it's crazy the things we are forced to think about throughout our life.

Recently, I made the decision to take a break from school. I'm more than halfway done with an Associate's Degree in Psychology. I decided to break because I was attending school online and for me, it's just not enough. Sadly, I am now in a predicament about whether or not my degree is the right one. I was hoping to someday work with PTSD patients but after more research and the fact that we live in a black hole with limited amounts of GOOD education choices- I've decided the right decision for myself may be to in fact change my whole choice for my future.

I've been set on psychology since about 15. I knew since I left Louisiana what I wanted to focus on and why. It means the world to me. With our economy the way it is, however, as well as the lack of good colleges with a psychology program in the area I am studying- I've sort of been put in a tough spot. Either I can wait an undetermined amount of time when we PCS and hope they have an excellent school I can get my degree or I can switch my career path completely and actually build a life for myself aside from just the mommy/housewife aspect.

As much as I love my children and my husband- I want more. One day they are going to leave and I don't want to be in my late 30s questioning my choices and regretting the fact that my life passed me by and I did nothing for ME. I want more, I've always wanted more and I don't think that just because I was married at 18 and a mommy shortly after that I have to let go of the rest of my life and give up on my own dreams. I mean, what is life really without dreams of our own. My kids are going to grow up and move away, build lives of their own- my hubby will probably stay in the military [if he's able] and I will need something for me. So with these thoughts, I've decided to switch to nursing. I'm going to go talk to a career counselor and see what I need to do to get on the right path. I plan on waiting til at least next august or so [when caylee starts pre-k] before I actually going back to school but I figure a start is something. Getting educated about my choices and getting the steps in place to take. I'm hoping to either double major or minor in psychology and who knows, maybe someday I will be a psychiatric nurse. I need something for me and I don't want to wait til my kids are grown to do it. Wish me luck =]


1 comment:

Mrs. Jeremy Young said...

Congrats on your little boy and doing well through all the madness that is the life of a military wife, mommy & student.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...