Tuesday, November 9, 2010

An Empty Nest

My aunt and uncle drove over from Fort Benning this past weakend for Rob's birthday [which he got stuck working on] and decided to "kidnap" Caylee for the week. They left Sunday and she'll be gone until I leave to go get her Friday [but we won't be home until Sunday since it's about a 5 1/2 hour trip].

It's been pretty nice having alone time with Rob. We don't ever get that. I'm the type of person who thinks that even though I had a child at a young age [I was already  married but only 18 when I got pregnant and 19 when I had her] it is solely our responsibility to raise her. Neither of us go out to bars or clubs and a "night out" for us is a dinner and movie date. Neither of us mind that one bit. It's no one elses' responsibility to take care of our daughter. It's okay on the special occasion [like when her godmother insists on taking her for a week because she's having withdrawals] or an occasional night for a few hours when I have a very trusted friend watch her but other than that, our alone time is once she is in bed, which to me is how is should be.

Anyway, we went out to lunch/dinner and he took me shopping. We had a blast. I can't remember laughing so much in a while. It's DEFINITELY been a while. We came home. Lit our first fire in our fireplace and relaxed on the couch and watched "Get em to the Greek" which might I add is a HILARIOUS movie. It was truly a great day. He told me a million times how much he loved me, he kept my hand in his the whole time, or moved my hair out of my face, or rested his hand in my back pocket- it was nice. Reminded me of when we first started dating. I always cherish the times like that...

Today, I got a call from Caylee's Pediatrician. He was calling to let me know that her culture came back positive for Salmonella and I can almost guarantee it is from the Mcdonald's Chicken Nuggets. I every once in a Blue Moon, get her a kids meal with chicken nuggets and apples as a special treat. However, she will no longer be getting any sorry of food from that nasty place after I watch her little body shrink down from all the diarrhea. My aunt just sent me a picture and even in the picture you can see she lost a lot of weight last week. Makes me sad. Anyway, she has the basic form of Salmonella which requires no treatment. She is having normal bowel movements and eating regularly as well, so it's pretty much over with. She is still contagious but since she still is not potty trained, it's not a big concern unless we were disgusting and didn't wash our hands after changing her. I'm glad to know for sure what it was.

As a special treat, we got her the limited edition rudolph from build- a - bear yesterday [ yes even on our dates, when she's 5 1/2 hours away I still think of her constantly] and it is the cutest thing EVER! It's little nose lights up red and it says "She thinks I'm cute, I'm cute I'm cute" and a few other things. It's adorable! She's going to love it! Ahh I can't wait to see my baby this weekend- I have to admit, I'm missing her like crazy!


4 comments:

Steph said...

I'm glad she is getting better and that you two are getting to spend some alone time together. She'll be back before you know it.

Unknown said...

It's always good to get some alone time now and again (not just after bed time) and so glad she's feeling better!

Jess said...

Glad to hear little Caylee is doing ok. Man, McDondalds! Grrr! My munchkin loves the chicken nuggets from there, now I'll be thinking twice about getting food from there.

I know exactly what you mean about being the one to take care of your kids. I feel the same way about that, My MIL insists taking our kiddo for about a week out of the year to (they live about 7 hrs away) I love the alone time with hubs as well but man I miss her like crazy. Its hard when your a 24hr SAHM. Ive let her go (only because I feel like I have to) to their house for a week every year for 4 years now and it doesn't get any easier on me. I still cry as we pull out of the drive way. I'm such a wimp! LOL!

Unknown said...

My comment has nothing to do with your post but I wanted to say hi after reading your answers to my get to know you survey!

My husband was an Engineer to start his carrier... he is ordinance now but I still know the Engineering song because it was so darn catchy. "Essayons for America!"

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...